As of last week I am officially no longer sleeping.
People LOVE to tell you to get as much sleep as you can before the baby arrives because there won't be much sleeping after he comes! Knowing smile, wink wink.
When they share this little tidbit of wisdom I kind of want to hit them. If I could sleep you better believe I'd be getting the ten hours a night my body really wants but I'm stuck with the really crappy maybe 5 I'm actually getting, thanks. Also, you have spinach between your teeth.
On the plus side, Janell brought me cake so I might actually survive until this baby arrives after all.
Also, all this extra awake time has given me lots of time to do projects I've had book marked.
I started off with this belt:
which killed my machine thanks to the vinyl backing and required a $70 repair. It would have been cheaper to just buy myself a belt.
After I got my sewing machine repaired I finally got around to actually reading the manual. As it turns out, my machine is AWESOME and I had no idea. It has all these capabilities that I just assumed I'd have to live without. After realizing what it could do I got really excited and starting sewing a lot more.
I found this great free pattern at BurdaStyle and fell in love. Fortunately, Wes's best friend happens to be a little girl who wears 2T so I got sewing.
If you're a sewer it's one of those ridiculously easy yet incredibly satisfying projects you can crank out in a couple hours. The original pattern doesn't say that it's reversible but it totally is if you use snaps instead of buttons. I want to make like twenty of them.
I'm also excited to jump into this one again:
I saw the tutorial back during Celebrate the Boy month and really wanted to give it a try but just couldn't get myself to the thrift store for a pair of men's slacks (too fat...tooooo far). Then last weekend it dawned on me to ask my 19 year old brother who is still constantly outgrowing clothes if he had anything he'd like to give me. He had not only two pairs of slacks but a whole STACK of clothing just asking to be remade (the shirt Wes is wearing also used to be Jared's. I sized it more like a 3T so it's kind of big but eh. He can wear it now). So I started with the black pair of slacks and will soon be moving on to the khaki pair, along with a million other projects I have in mind for his old tshirts and stuff.
There is something incredibly satisfying about dressing your child in clothes you made with your own two hands out of freeeee materials.
Also, I have not forgotten about Baby 2 (GETOUTGETOUTGETOUT. Ahem):
I am facing my fear of stretchy fabrics! Look at me go. The gown isn't done yet since it still needs elastic in the bottom and a good ironing (it's not nearly as wonky as it looks in that first picture) but I'm thinking of doing some freezer paper stenciling or something first and just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks to the fact that I lead with my belly I've ruined plenty of shirts lately that can easily be turned into these sweet little gowns.This one used to be a much beloved H&M v-neck. Sigh.
Other projects in the works (just waiting for ribbed knit to go on sale at Joann's next week):
onesie with binding
the 90 minute shirt
I think I might be nesting or something.
Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















8 comments:
Wow, look at you go! That little girls' shirt is ADORABLE. Love it. I'm amazed at the volume of stuff you're cranking out. And here I was feeling so smug about re-purposing holey jeans for the girls (which was way easier than any of the stuff you've been doing)!
WOW. i'm very impressed. all of those are so awesome. that little reversible dress has me wanting a baby riiight now.
in case you wanted to sew a dress for me, i need something to wear to blake's wedding on friday :)
I'd say nesting for sure.
I'm assuming that darling reversible shirt is for Ashlyn. It is too cute. I am very impressed with everything you made.
I've also been waiting for ribbing to go on sale, but I didn't know it would be next week. Yay! I made a 90 minute shirt and obviously drew the pattern wrong because it didn't fit. Oh well, next time, right? I'm super impressed with it all, but especially the pants. What does your sewing machine do?
That belt is DARLING. Worth 70 bucks.
Also, I'm still afraid of stretchy fabrics. Maybe you can give me some tips.
5 hours is about all I'm getting too. I could easily nap all afternoon though, too bad it isnt an option. We should walk tonight!! ;) Love the cute stuff you've been crankin out- that girly shirt is just adorable!
i will totally pay you if you make me clothes. i'll be like your full sized mannequin/dress up doll.
Post a Comment