Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Some Thoughts from My Second Time Around

1. In the final days of this pregnancy I found myself almost suctioned to Wes, trying to preemptively ease the shock of how much his life was about to change by smothering him with love. I also clung to him knowing in theory I would love Baby 2 as much but having trouble believing it. How could I love another child as much as I love my sweet Wes?


But then I went to the hospital and a few hours later I heard those little bitty newborn squeals and, like the Grinch, my heart seemed to grow 3 sizes that day.


2. I knew I'd love having a bigger baby and people told me I'd love having a bigger baby but dude. I LOVE HAVING A BIGGER BABY. He sleeps. And when I say sleeps I mean he sleeps HARD. I had to wake him up every four hours to eat for the first week. He eats with purpose and gusto and then he sleeps some more. Sometimes he just isn't real hungry and he doesn't eat much before falling back to sleep but I don't have to worry about it because getting tons of calories into him isn't priority one. This baby is a whole different ball game.



3. Nursing is strangely satisfying but also incredibly difficult. I'm not really sure how women used to do it effectively in the days before lactation consultants and Google searches for proper latching techniques. Also, nursing at church feels kind of inappropriate.

4. I had forgotten how little sleep you're supposed to survive on. If I walk off a cliff I want you to know right now it wasn't post-partum depression driven suicide. I was simply too groggy to realize the cliff was there. I keep walking into walls at my house. The house I've lived in for 4.5 years and can make my way around blindfolded. Walking off a cliff could totally happen to me.

7 comments:

Janssen said...

Dude, you have two children. It blows my mind.

Celia said...

I am so happy Jones is a good baby. You completely deserve it. I hope you are able to catch up on sleep soon!

p.s. adorable pictures...as usual

megan said...

That picture of his feet and rear end might be the cutest baby picture I have ever seen.

Caitlin Carroll said...

Nursing at church is awesome. Mostly because our mother's lounge is awesome. If Sunday School is getting boring, I'm all like "oh, I think Atticus is hungry, I think I need to go to the mother's lounge." Then there are four other mothers who are up for a good mid-church chat. I think that's the reason I have good friends in my ward now, which I never had before. We met in the mother's lounge.

Isabel said...

I really needed to read this post.

Everyone told me that having a 10 lbs baby was a blessing. I still don't fully understand what they meant...but yeah, Babboo ate and slept like a champ from day one.

Also, why does nursing feel so wrong at church? I HAVE THE SAME FEELING. You'd think that us Mormons would be totally ok with nursing during Sacrament Meeting...but we aren't. Heck, we're not even comfortable with nursing during Relief Society and I can't figure it all out. I mean, all of the ladies in RS have had babies.

Anyway...hope your Mothers Day was lovely!

Mike and Steph said...

Oh, Kayla, you make me laugh! I love your sense of humor! I can't wait to meet little Jones!

Becky said...

I totally agree with point #1-- I felt the same way when Jack was coming. I was worried I couldn't love him as muchm but they handed him to me- I couldn't have loved him more! I hope you're surviving and getting sleep over there.

I finally mopped my floors on Monday :) We were in survival mode for quite a while. Now we're just hibernating from GERMS!