Thursday, October 29, 2009

Permission to Lose

It occurred to me only after I had signed up to participate in NaNoWriMo and gotten all excited about my novel idea that it's going to be really difficult (or impossible) to keep reading at my current rate while also writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I don't think that there are enough hours in the day. Or enough brain cells in my head.

So while I do not yet concede defeat to Janssen, I do give myself permission to give up reading in November if it proves to be too much. Yes, this will mean I lose the Book Wars, but seriously. I've already read 134 books and over 40,000 pages this year, which is already well over my original goal of 121 books and it's still only October. If I don't read another page this year (unlikely) I would still be really proud of my 2009 reading. It seems weird that I just barely even got my library card in 2008. What did I do with all my time??

4 comments:

Heather said...

permission granted. Good luck with the writing!

Bart said...

Don't worry. Just using your stats for this year, you've already beaten my last four years combined, I'm sure.

I'm interested to see what you produce. You will be sharing your novel, right?

Janssen said...

What kills me is that even though you'll not read as much in Nov, you'll probably still defeat me in page counts.

This fight must go on to the death!

Unknown said...

Great...now you've got me hooked! I'm joining NaNoWriMo, too. May the best woman win!