Yesterday I got up at the crack of 8:00, decided to bite the bullet and started unscrewing light switch covers.
I always enjoy painting in theory, but in practice it's kind of a pain in the butt. Yesterday was no exception, especially due to frequent interruptions from a certain small person who shall remain nameless. Fortunately, our internet was spotty all day so even when I was desperately looking for a non baby distraction I always ended up back in the room within minutes, paintbrush in hand. I was all finished and had the room partially put back together by the time Aaron got home.
When I pulled down the last bit of tape I stepped back and thought, "Well, I have always wanted to live inside an easter egg..."
Always happens to me. The color is never what I had imagined. Wes's room ended up several shades darker than I wanted and ours? Is about 13 shades brighter.
I LOVE IT.
After my initial "oh crap" I realized that it feels like sunshine, rainbows, and picnics in Spring. The feeling I get when walking into our room went from, "Bleh" to "La la la la!!" Aaron agrees that the mojo of the room did a 180 and he thinks the color is awesome. I actually want to be in my room now. Even falling asleep in there last night when I couldn't even see the wall color was better than before (this may also be attributed to the fact that I dusted and could probably breathe easier).
You can also see my dilemma when it comes to making the bed with not one, not even two, but THREE comforters (Aaron is kind of wimpy about the cold and is currently doubling up). It's never going to look very pretty. I love our new sheets though (except the bedskirt really needs to be ironed...and I'm just not willing to do that).
While painting I moved our old dresser over toward the foot of the bed so I could get to the wall behind it and, as it turns out, we like it there. We might end up keeping it there instead of trashing it. There's still plenty of room between the dresser and the wall and the more storage the better.
As it turns out, the Ikea Expedit bookcase does not exist in a 3x4 configuration so we're going with the 2x4 after all. That'll probably be next month's purchase (the costs of the paint, the bookcase, and the headboard have to be spread out over 3 months by royal decree [Aaron]). Which means the headboard will be my project for May. Kind of a bummer because it's the project I'm most excited to undertake, but we really need the storage space sooner rather than later before our floor becomes my closet again (where did all these clothes come from?).
And I decided to keep our ugly bedside tables. I stripped one on Saturday and decided to just whitewash them and add some pretty new hardware. Definitely not the easiest option (my arms are not looking forward to stripping the second table), but I think they'll look really nice when I'm done and the cost of primer, whitewash, and finish was a lot lower than new tables would have been.
I think I'm doing pretty well...it's only March and I'm on track to be done with the whole thing by the end of May. I don't think I've ever completed a New Year Resolution before the year was even half over before. It's a nice feeling.





2 comments:
I love it! Looks great. Can't believe it's going ot be done in no time! I'm excited to see all of the pics! Are you being sure to take before and after pics of everything?
P.S. You could have your bed skirt dry cleaned. Then you wouldn't ahve to iron it. Use a coupon from the mail!
Kayla, you are an inspiration to me. I am so impressed by the way you can just DO things. I definitely want to be you.
Post a Comment