Friday, October 27, 2006

Why Business is Bad for My Hips

I LOVE this time of year. I believe I've already blogged about how awesome October-December is. One of the really great, yet really terrible, aspects of this time of year is the constant parade of sugar. It's pretty bad at home, seeing as the cooler weather brings out the Betty Crocker Cookie Baker in me and my neighbors, but it's especially terrible at work.

We do a lot of business with a variety of different vendors. Once we find good vendors we tend to be fiercely loyal customers. Getting in good with us pretty much guarantees a good year for you. We're putting our A/C guy's daughter through college. Our rather large appliance company knows me by first name. Our carpet guy tries so hard to please I think he'd give me a foot rub if I asked. With as many properties as we have both passing through and sitting in our permanent holdings, we have a lot of business to dole out to the deserving.

Because of all this business, our vendors LOVE us. We give them a lot of money. And this is the time of year that they like to show their appreciation. And they like to show that appreciation with foodstuffs.

I just got my first candy basket of the season from the aforementioned carpet vendor. He brought one each for my boss and me. It's a splendid purple Halloween basket absolutely stuffed with candy (and a business card). And even though I've been making a very concerted effort for the past 6 months to eat healthy, how can I say no to this basket? How can I say no to fresh, soft tootsie rolls?? I'm just one woman! I can't say no to fun size kit kats! Or peanut M&Ms, or grape nerds, or cherry dum dums! In fact, the only thing I CAN say no to in this overflowing basket of lovely sugary goodness is the lone butterscotch dum dum.

And so, I'm afraid I'm going to have to start alienating my vendors so they don't feel the need to express their love in baked or candied ways, or I'm going to have to take a 2 month vacation and come back to work January 2nd (I don't believe in working on the first day of the new year, it just reminds you of the full year of working you have to look forward to) and thus bypass the Season of Sugar altogether.

While writing this post I ate: 2 fun sized kit-kats, 1 fun sized Twix, 7 mini tootsie rolls.

Help me!

No comments: