Sunday, October 29, 2006

Improv Everywhere

On Friday I stumbled onto a website for a group that calls themselves Improv Everywhere.

If I ever move to New York, I know what I'll be doing before I even unpack my moving boxes.

Their website can be found here.

From their FAQ:
"Improv Everywhere is, at its core, about having fun. We're big believers in "organized fun". In the process we bring excitement to otherwise unexciting locales and give strangers a story they can tell for the rest of their lives. We're out to prove that a prank doesn't have to involve humiliation or embarrassment; it can simply be about making someone laugh, smile, or stop to notice the world around them."

Some of my favorites thus far:
  • Throwing a birthday party for a stranger. The head guy picked a random Joe out at a bar. A bunch of IE "agents" (as they're called) then showed up in waves calling him "Ted" and giving him presents. They had a birthday cake, sang happy birthday, and partied for several hours at the bar. "Ted," who was initially very confused and upset about the whole thing, eventually decided to just give in to the madness and enjoy his party.
  • Circle Line Tours. Several IE agents got 2 inflatable rafts (with a 130 lb weight limit) and took people on a tour of Manhattan by boat. The tour took place in the fountain in Union Square. When the captains' raft went down, the agents did not hesitate to sacrifice themselves, jumping in to save their captains.
  • Slo-mo Home Depot. 225 agents synchronized their watches and then slowly trickled in to a Manhattan Home Depot. At an appointed time, they all began moving in slow motion. Much confusion on the part of the other shoppers and the employees ensued.
I aspire to be as creative as these people!

No comments: