Monday, April 20, 2009

Sharing the Love

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but I'm kind of passionate about reading. I love books. I love sitting down and finishing a really good book in one day, getting up only for potty breaks and nachos. I love dissecting them with other people who have read them and pondering what to rate them on Goodreads.

Now, this isn't a book blog, so I know there is a very good chance that not all my readership feels the same way about reading as I do. But I also know there are a few fellow book lovers out there! So this is for you guys.

When Janssen was here she left me 4 advance copies of various books from her TLA conference. Advance copies! Meaning they haven't even been released yet! Some of them still have typos! And we get to read them already!

I have finished two of the four and both were excellent. However, I have no. more. room on my bookshelves (it's past time for a purge) and I realized that I enjoyed them enough to want to share them, especially since the whole "advance uncorrected proof" thing is kind of fun and makes you feel important.



The first book I read is called If I Stay by Gayle Forman. The back cover describes it as "heartachingly beautiful" and I think that pretty much sums this book up. I loved every minute of it and bawled my way through most of the second half. Also, before this was even released Summit picked up the film rights and Catherine Hardwicke (of Twilight fame) is set to direct. So that's kind of fun.


The second book is called Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. You may not know this but Sarah Dessen is kind of a big deal around here. She's huge in the young adult fiction world and, aside from a few early career mehs (my own opinion), her books are awesome. This one is no exception and, as I've said before, it speaks to my 15 year old self. Her books are wonderfully entertaining fluff...excellent for beaches, pools, barbeques, and everything else summer.


The point of all this is to say that I'm sharing the love and giving these two books away. In standard blog giveaway fashion, just leave me a comment saying which one (or both!) that you want and I'll draw names for each book.

I don't have a particularly large readership, so your odds of winning one are actually pretty good!

(Half of me is kind of expecting my sister to be the only one to enter)

I think I'll give it a week, which means I'll accept entries up until midnight on April 27th (the day after my birthday!). Good luck and happy reading!

45 comments:

Ralphie said...

They both sound great! But I leaning a bit more towards Sarah Dessen. She's kind of a big deal around these parts too!

Melanie said...

Well, this is as good a time as any to delurk. Hi! I knew Janssen and Bart briefly when we lived in the same apartment complex one summer. And I love books too.

Despite what I recently wrote on my blog about Sarah Dressen (meh) I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. But I'd love to read either book.

Unknown said...

I admire you for reading so much. Seriously. HOw do you find time to read sooo much??
It seems like there is always someone to feed, laundry to do, kids yanking on my leg....

Elisa said...

I love crying! If I stay! And I love you. :)

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Pick me, pick me! I think I love reading close to as much as you do! I'd gladly take either off your hands! I've been meaning to pick up some Sarah Dessen after reading your reviews on goodreads.

Sherry said...

I just need more books to read during the carpool. We're going to finish The Hunger Games soon.

Megan said...

Kayla! I am just about to graduate and need some non-school book to read! How about Dessen?...but it's okay if you don't want to ship it.

TheMoncurs said...

No worries on shipping..that's not an issue!

Katy said...

Well, considering that I am currently searching for a support group for people who secretly love Sarah Dessen but are ashamed to admit it even to themselves, I'm going to have to go ahead and enter myself in this drawing. I also like heartachingly beautiful things though, so, you know, if we get to put our fingers in both literary pies that would be pretty sweet.

Cricket said...

I would like to enter too! Put me in for the beach book- crying isn't my gig :)


(everytime I post a comment on your blog, I get the same verification word: dizapul, what's up with that?)

angela hardison said...

Thanks for sharing the love. I want the first one (If I Stay)... though I know nothing about either author.

Jennifer Lee said...

I would love to be in the running for "If I Stay."

RA said...

Hi! I'm here from Janssen's blog, and I'm throwing my hat in the ring for If I Stay. Crossing my fingers!

Kristi said...

Enter me for both please!

G said...

I am greedy, so please enter me for both!

Janelle said...

I'm here from Janssen's blog, enter me for both! I'm a biblioholic as well! :)

Nikki said...

Wow, apparently I was slacking. Look at all the comments already!

I want both. :) I haven't read any Sarah Dessen books yet, but I know you and Janssen always talk about how awesome they are.

Unknown said...

My 15 year old self is dying for some book-lovin'. I'll take two (or one...please.)

Kaizen Fashion Project said...

I'd love both pretty please!

Preethi said...

Oh how I'd be thrilled with either. :)

Linsley said...

I'd like a shot at both if you don't mind!

Lady Susan said...

What is this I hear, books are being given away? YA books at that?! Sign me up please. Both sound lovely.

Christy said...

WoW! All your readers are coming out of the woodwork! I confess I have never read a Sarah Dessen novel-but she is on my list after reading some reviews from Janssen-but I love the cover art for If I stay-so please enter me for both please. I'm crossing my fingers!

Kimberly said...

Count me in! I have to be honest, I know Janssen, which is how I found out about this, but anyone she likes as much as you must be pretty cool. Hope you don't mind strangers lurking around the blog.

theFinn said...

Well, since Megan already offered to back out due to shipping, I feel less guilty entering myself, as well! Let's just say that I'm only working 15 hours per week this summer, and I would like to spend my life outside, devouring books and loving life before I sell my soul to graduate school. Either book would be awesome.

theFinn said...

Kayla, I tried to add you as my friend on Goodreads and it said you didn't exist! Are you leading me on to make you thin you like books more than you actually do?

Dyan said...

I would happily take either of them off your hands! I was just reading through your book list post the other day wondering what to pick up next at the library. Oh, and I love your easter cake...definately putting that in memory for next year. And I'm not just saying that in hopes to get my name thrown in the hat twice for the giveaway either! :)

Jodi said...

I would read either! After I'm done I think I would also do a giveaway on my blog. Wouldn't it be fun to have traveling books?

Jennie said...

Another one here from Janssen's blog. :) What a great giveaway! I'd love to be considered for both books. I'm intrigued.

Anne B. said...

I would love to have either book! How fun!

Becca said...

I did a Sarah Dessen and wasn't like DYING with love for it, but I know you and Janssen adore her and I want to try again! So that one...or the other one. I love to bawl. Come on. You know me.

megan said...

So I saw this link from (my sister-in-law) Janssen's blog, and thought I better give it a go. Anyway, I haven't had a good book to read for a long time (library hold lists are a nightmare around here), and "If I Stay" sounds like just the right thing! Thanks for doing a giveaway!

Parity BYU said...

Don't have a particularly large readership!? Psht. I'm going to go with... yes. Sure. Why not?

Unknown said...

I'll enter for If I stay...my cousin's baby just died, and I think I could use a good heartachy cry. Especially since I'm about to have a baby. These pregnancy hormones...

Lonica said...

I am now done reading my 22 novels for my young adult class and reading to read something of my own selection. Send some books my way please! I have yet to be introduced to Sarah Dresden, but I'm excited to meet her through her books!

Merrick said...

I don't think that 35 comments really counts as a "small readership." I was hoping for more like 5 comments so I would have SOME chance of winning. Your giveaway could be my FIRST WIN! Or maybe not...

I love me some Sarah Dessen. Bring on more books!

Bart said...

I don't know. I just can't decide between the two . . .

Janssen said...

I would like to win back the copy of If I Stay. Since I don't have a duplicate of that and all.

Also, when a book has the line "This is a new song called 'My-girlfriend-is going-to-New-York-and-Leaving-My-Punk-Heart-in-Shreds Blues'" in it, I need to own it.

Sammy said...

38 comments already and you don't think you have a book readership?! A giveaway is always a good way to see just how many people are reading.
Put me in for both of these books please!!

Amber said...

wow! I would have to agree - I think your readership is a little larger than you think! :)

I would love to read either books if I actually won. but if not - I will still add them to my list of books I want from the library!

Jeanelle said...

I would love to win either one. Would it help if I told you that the family pic you posted on Easter was beautiful? Seriously, you are so pretty...and I will think that even if I don't win! :)

blaine and michelle said...

Either one would be great! I'm a mom of three kids 3 and under and I'm starting to read again...I haven't had much time recently so I'm looking for good ones to get going again!

Kate said...

I would love to win either book! I love getting a new book. And the smell of a new book is so nice.

Lisa said...

I'd go in for either- Janssen's love of Sarah Dessen is a compelling thing, and I've heard so much about If I Stay that both are already on my list.

marty said...

I would love to be in the running for either! Thanks :)