Monday, April 13, 2009

An Easter Cake. Documented for Posterity.

I usually get assigned the dessert for family gatherings. Because A. I LOVE dessert and I have a thing for baking and B. it's pretty much a given that I'll spend hours on whatever it is and they like to watch me suffer.


Clearly we cannot have an Easter dessert without a new cake plate. Courtesy of Goodwill 50% off day and some epoxy.


And you know what else would be awesome? A pretty blue egg in a spun sugar nest on top of the cake! Who cares that I have no idea how to make spun sugar!

The spun sugar that melded flat because I was doing it wrong at first? A sparkly addition to the bottom!


Take lots of pictures because, hi, lots of work going to get eaten in 5..4..3..2..


Pretty! And tasty! And only halfway gone! I'm pretty much throwing slices at my neighbors right now trying to get rid of the rest before A. it goes stale or B. I eat it all (guess which is more likely).



-Inspiration from Bakerella. Her pictures are a lot prettier and worth a look. My cake was only 10 layers..it was supposed to be 12 but I ruined one layer straight from the oven and then realized as I was assembling the cake that it was getting ridiculously tall and nixed the last layer.

-Cake recipe from my Betty Crocker bridal cookbook. I made 2 batches..one with dark cocoa and one with regular. Somehow all the dark cocoa layers ended up in the middle, despite that fact that I grabbed them from the freezer at random. I meant to alternate them but couldn't tell them apart when they were frozen and wrapped in plastic. Oh well.

-Frosting recipe and various cake baking helps from Smitten Kitchen

-Spun sugar tutorial here. Beware. I burned the living daylights out of my finger, almost ripped a thumbnail off trying to pry a hardened drop of syrup off my floor, AND got stabbed IN MY FRESH BURN by a particularly sharp thread. Spun sugar: pretty but dangerous.

8 comments:

Janssen said...

You win at life.

Caitlin Carroll said...

I want to be you.

angela hardison said...

That's the prettiest cake ever. I've never even heard of spun sugar.

Becca said...

I almost hate you but mostly love you.

theFinn said...

Ummm, Kayla? Has anyone told you that you're a ridiculous human being? Who makes spun sugar?

mominaz said...

The chunk of cake I kept is almost gone. I've had another piece every night after dinner. Just so everyone knows....it tasted as great as it looked!
p.s. The cat finished eating all the yellow tulips. Just stems in the vase left.

Becky said...

BEAUTIFUL!! I love your little layered cakes. That one at enrichment was to die for. I may have to attempt it. The spun sugar is pretty awesome too.

Sorry I missed game night...I totally forgot!...not that I didn't have it written down, I DID! Melody called to remind me, but I was on my way to the gym...afterwards I was SOOOO tired, it was late and I went to bed. :( sorry.

PS- I really like your hair long too!!

Kristy said...

Amazing work.