Tuesday, March 03, 2009

On Un-Becoming a Hermit

A few weeks ago Aaron was in a car accident. Nothing serious (and bonus! Not his fault!) but it was enough to put his car totally out of commission. And since it wasn't worth fixing his car we just took the money, paid off my car, put some money into savings, and became a one car family.

For the most part, being a one car family hasn't been that big of a deal. I really don't need the car that often and on the days that I do I just take Aaron to work and he either gets a ride home with Jed or I go pick him up.

The logical consequence of not having a car is that Wes and I really don't get out much. At first I was still making an effort. Park trips! Car pooling to the library! Long walks around the neighborhood!

But now it's getting to the point where it's just easier to be a hermit and not go out. I mean, Going Out requires showering. And getting dressed. And possibly bathing Wes depending on what he had for breakfast. And that's just more effort than I'm willing to put forth. So we became hermits.

And then yesterday someone rang the doorbell. And I got all annoyed and wanted to yell, "Hey! Can't you see we're hermitting here??" Because how dare they disturb the hermits! We are very busy! Doing hermit things! Like reading books in our sweats! And smashing goldfish crackers into the floor! And eating cookies that were supposed to go to visiting teachees but didn't because dropping them off would have required leaving the house!

And that's when I realized that we've really hit a low point. And by "we" I mean "me" because Wes actually makes a run for the outside any time the door is opened. If he could get reach the windows he'd be plastered up against them looking longingly at the outside. There are probably little baby scratch marks on all the walls from his escape attempts. He's suffering from forced hermitage.

So today we are un-hermitting. We have the car and an itinerary that includes all kinds of exciting and exotic locations like: the grocery store! The fabric store! And that's it, actually, because after those 2 places he is going to need a nap. But after that nap, who knows! Maybe we'll be a little crazy and go to the mall! Except the mall is kind of far so maybe we'll just stay home and watch Gilmore Girls instead. Ya, that's probably what we'll do.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

This post was hilarious. I don't know if it is because I can relate so well or if it's because you're just such a funny writer, my guess is a bit of both! If you ever want to unhermit your way over to Austin we can go do fun things together, or watch TV. You could choose.

Janssen said...

But. . .but. . .Gilmore Girls IS fun things.

Becca said...

When I hear the doorbell, I panic and wonder if it's socially acceptable to ignore it. And then I get mad that some loser is interrupting me in my little haven.

Unknown said...

You crack me up!

Bart said...

I'm a total hermit sometimes. Must. Get. Out. More.