Saturday, March 14, 2009

Me and Pi

Right after I posted my pie picture I found the Pi Day wikipedia page. As it turns out, me and pi? We are fated. Behold:

Some also celebrate Pi Approximation Day in addition to Pi Day, which can fall on any of several dates:

  • April 26: The Earth has traveled two radians of its orbit by this day (April 25th in leap years); thus the entire orbit divided by the distance traveled equals pi
  • July 22: 22/7 in the more common day/month date format, an ancient approximation of pi
  • November 10: The 314th day of the year (November 9 in leap years)
  • December 21, 1:13 p.m.: The 355th day of the year (December 20 in leap years), celebrated at 1:13 for the Chinese approximation 355/113


April 26th? My birthday. December 21st? My wedding anniversary. I think this means I'm supposed to name my next child Pi or something. The universe has spoken!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Or you could read The Life of Pi. I liked that book.

theFinn said...

I definitely vote for naming your kid Pi. People will always be asking where he/she is from.

angela hardison said...

And I've always loved pi too. November 10? My anniversary...

(Plus my birthday is December 22 which is only 1 day away from the other date.)

Weird.