Yesterday I made Amish Friendship Bread (courtesy of starter from my friend Melody) (and really it's more like cake so I will refer to it as such). I was still all twitchy and paranoid because of the missing gecko (which was hiding somewhere in the immediate vicinity of my kitchen) and I was exhausted by the time the cake was ready to go in the oven.
Wes went into full on nap-time meltdown mode right before I put it in so I took a second to take him to his room, change him, give him a sippy cup and put him down. Then I came back to the kitchen, sprinkled the top with cinnamon and sugar and put it in the oven.
An hour later my kitchen smelled like a little slice of fattening cinnamon-y heaven and I was really excited to taste it. I cut myself a slice and went to town.
And then I bit into something chewy. Something that did not match the rest of the cake.
Any other day and I would have taken it for what it was: a bit of flour or some other ingredient that just didn't get stirred in well and then baked funny. But since it was the day I was freaking out about the gecko I totally saw it as a gecko foot. I poked at it forever, trying to hold back the gagging while I ascertained whether or not it had toes. Because our wily gecko intruder totally could have climbed or fallen in while I was putting Wes to bed and OF COURSE IT WOULD DO THAT TO ME.
And then when my poking was inconclusive I attacked the remaining cake on the counter looking for the rest of the gecko. Which of course wasn't there but that did not stop me from totally destroying half of my freshly baked bundt cake just to make sure.
And since it wasn't in the cake that means it is still alive and silently stalking me through my house and I can't sleep at night.
So I guess what I really want to say is:
Dear God,
Do You maybe have somewhere else where You could put all the geckos? My nerves can't handle this.
Love and Thanks,
K
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





10 comments:
Please call it bread. THen I can eat it for breakfast when I come visit.
Oh my gosh, I thought you actually had a gecko in your cake. And ate it. I WAS SO SCARED.
Is there no end? A woman should be able to enjoy her friendship bread in peace, not in pieces.
I want some of that cake.
I've left a clarifying message on my rondele stuffed chicken on my food blog - what we eat - sorry I didn't see your question earlier - my email was screwy! If you make it please let me know!
That is so funny! My sister just got a Amish bread start this morning from the lady who does her nails. I'll be getting mine in a few days... glad we don't have gekos!
I cringed when I saw the title of this post. I'm glad it didn't turn out as bad as I feared, but sorry you're still living in nervous anticipation of encountering your gecko friend! We've had them get in our house before too. Sometimes they just kind of ... disappear. And (sorry if this is TMI) I've found small dead ones a couple of times. YUCK!
Aaron probably got it and took it outside after you went to bed but didn't tell you as a cruel joke. That's my bet.
It's also possible Wes ate it when you weren't looking.
i would totally love to talk to your friend.
will you email me her name and number?
boydandniki@yahoo.com
an 11lb baby...yikes! i'm scared.
thanks so much.
Kayla-
this is Melissa Quent Farmer. I saw your blog on Raquel Thomson's blog. (I know blog stalker!) I just wanted to tell you, that I LOVE reading your blog. You make me laugh and your words are just AMAZING! Thanks for sharing your life and making my DAY!
Post a Comment