Grocery shopping continues to yield awkward encounters.
While doing self check-out today I realized that I recognized the lady at the other checkout as the mom of a high school friend. I got her attention as she started to leave and we chatted while I finished checking out.
I had Wes with me in his car seat on the cart and she was talking to him and playing with his feet when this other lady walked up behind her and said something about how great it was that there was another woman at the grocery store who loved babies. I kind of ignored her because she was rather rudely interrupting and I just continued my conversation with my friend's mom.
And then the lady kind of pushed her away from Wes and said, "Ok, MY turn to play with the baby!"
I didn't know if I should point out that I actually KNEW my friend's mom and that's why she was allowed to touch my child. I kept trying to return to my conversation with my friend's mom but the lady continued to interrupt, asking me questions about Wes and cooing over his beautiful skin and whatever. And when she mentioned how skinny I am I told her that he was 6 weeks early so I didn't gain those last few pounds. And then she was like, "6 weeks early! How lucky!"
Um...ya. I was really lucky to have a premature baby who had to stay in the hospital for two weeks.
Did I mention she was walking a dog through the store? Because she was.
She kind of followed me into the parking lot, jabbering all the while, until I finally turned and said, "Well, it was nice talking to you. BYE!" And got Wes in the car real quick and left.
So awkward.
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Yes, yes, you sure are lucky. :)
Kayla, I don't know how you do it, but you clearly attract the loonies.
My thoughts exactly! (about attracting the loonies...)
Post a Comment