Friday, May 11, 2007

Pura Vida!* Costa Rica: Sunday, Day 3 Part 2-Playa Guapil

*Better late than never!

It's amazing how quickly you get used to driving on bumpy dirt and rock roads. Getting back on the road south to Dominical and bouncing around was just kind of like, "Meh, it's part of life."

We were getting pretty hungry on the drive down since we hadn't had lunch and dinner time was approaching. We passed a place called Iguano's about 10 km outside of Dominical that advertised pizza starting at 6pm. We remembered seeing a sign for a beach on the way up and knew it wasn't far from the restaurant so we figured we'd check it out and see if we could maybe kill and hour and a half so we could get some pizza.

The beach was absolutely gorgeous. We walked down to where a smallish river was flowing into the ocean. On the ocean side it was all sunshiney and beachy. On the river side it was all stormy and jungly looking and it was like being in 2 different places at once. We got some phenomenal pictures.

Hello family Christmas picture.

We have approximately 50,000 versions of this picture and they are all AWESOME. Good thing we brought our photographer Jeremy along. My favorite one is currently acting as our blog header.


After playing around at the beach for a while we headed back to Iguanos and got our pizza. It was really fun trying to speak to the Ticos who worked there. Revelation from the past few days: my Spanish is really. REALLY. terrible. My vocabulary is still pretty decent (anden: platform, volar: to fly, dormir: to sleep, bruma: FOG! How is it that I remember how to say fog and not how to string together a basic sentence??). Mostly I just embarass myself when I try to speak. Fortunately, tonight I realized that the pizza guy was telling us he was going to put anchovies on our pizza and I was able to tell him that anchovies are the devil's pizza topping and we'd prefer half pepperoni half pineapple, thank you very much (or..something along those lines).

We got back to Dominical pretty late, all dreading another night at Pyramis. Then, I found a black widow spider in our bathroom and Jeremy had a scary encounter with a crackhead which I'm sure will be funny in retrospect. We decided enough was enough. We packed up, found the lady who had such a hard time understanding why 2 married people would want to sleep with each other, handed over our money and left.

Aaron was so proud of me for squishing the spider that he took a picture of it. I got over my bug phobias pretty quickly down there. I had no choice. They were freaking everywhere.

We have eaten at the restaurant of a place called Arena y Sol up the road from Pyramis a few times and have made friends with a couple people there. They had a couple rooms available, so we booked 2 just for tonight. At some point today we realized how incredibly mobile we can be. We have a car and a map and no reservations anywhere. We can pack up and leave and go wherever we want. Dominical is not what we thought and hoped it would be. The surfing sucks and the town itself is just small, muddy, and kind of dull. So, we checked out the surf book Aaron brought and we decided to head south to Boca Coronado tomorrow to see if we can find some better surf.

Also, it's official: the Ticos love Jeremy. Aside from the fact that he was initially given a better room at Pyramis, here at Arena y Sol his room has a full sized bed (where Aaron and I could have comfortably slept together instead of on the twin sized bunk beds they gave us), a mirror, and a shower head instead of just a pipe coming out of the wall like we do.

Also, we've had the same waitress every time we've eaten at the restaurant and this evening I was sitting alone while Jeremy and Aaron chatted with Daniel (this local kid who speaks decent English and might buy Jeremy's board) and she came up to me and asked my name. Then she pointed to Jeremy's seat and asked if he was my friend. I pointed to Aaron's seat and told her he was my husband and she didn't even let me finish explaining that Jeremy was his brother before asking me again if Jeremy was my friend. I explained that he was the brother of my husband and she asked his name. When she brought our food a few minutes later she had "Xeremi" written on her hand. Too funny.

No comments: