Friday, July 31, 2009

Rar

It's official:

I HATE swimsuit shopping.

People don't make swimsuits for long-torsoed girls who are actually shaped like boys*. And they especially don't make affordable swimsuits for long-torsoed girls who are actually shaped like boys. That will also stay on when, you know, swimming. The only one I found that really fit me was $108 and I didn't like it because it was actually a grandma suit with super tummy panels and a rear minimizer (which I don't need) (actually, a little extra oomph back there would not be out of place).

After trying on (no joke) about 30 suits in various stores around the mall I finally just went home, hopped online and ordered this one from J. Crew:



And basically now I just need to pray that it fits me.

Anyone have a super awesome place where they get their swimsuits that they'd like to share?

*sure, bikinis fit. Do I want to wear one? No. Remember that time when I was pregnant? Ya. So does my stomach.

13 comments:

Lonica said...

I hate shopping for suits as well. I have other difficulties, though. I can never find one that appropriately covers my top half. In fact, I rather enjoy being pregnant because you have an excuse not to look good in a suit. You're supposed to have a big belly, so no need to suck in and pretend you're skinny--not that you would have the problem, I'm just speaking personally...

Heather said...

Please don't say those two s words together like that, it makes me feel ill. Sadly, I have no advice on that count. Good luck.

Austin said...

I know that long-torsoed-actually shaped-like-a-boy feeling. Sometimes it's kind of nice, but when it comes to situations such as this not so much. I have a tankini right now that I really like that I got from target and that covers my whole tummy amazingly. One pieces have never worked out very well for me.

Unknown said...

So, I don't have the shaped like a boy problem, AND I also am not that skinny.

However, I can recommend Lands End for swimsuits. They actually have swim suits for people with long torsos, they've got an amazingly good return policy (as in, no questions asked, just bring it back), and they've got a decent collection. They can be a little more expensive (NOT $108, but like, $50-$60), but, if you can find a suit that helps to end this drama for yourself...it might be worth it--right?

Good luck. I have swimwear problems of my own...what with these genetics of mine and all...

megan said...

I second Landsend. They have customizable tops (cup size, underwire or not), long torso, and various leg openings. The quality is awesome and they last for a long time, AND they are having a swim sale (up to 60%) with free shipping until monday, Aug. 3. Good luck! (P.S. Check their overstocks)

Leighana said...

limericki.com I know your a mom and all that, and maybe you wont like the "youngin" syle for fear of looking like a teenager, but I got mine [the lizzie tankini] there, and it was awesome! I love it and I have a long torso, and it fits great :)

Kimberly said...

I got one at Shade that fits pretty well and was a decent price. Good luck!

Caitlin Carroll said...

I hate this process so much that I actually haven't purchased a swimsuit since freshman year of college. I've even worn it all through pregnancy. I think it may be time for a new one next summer...

Mike and Steph said...

I love my swimsuit from Modbe:
http://www.modbeclothing.com/
They don't have the one I got because it was last season, but they do have a good variety and the tops are real nice and long. I also got the brown swim skirt and love it, seeing how I disagree with my thighs.

Also, my sister-in-law got a super cute, modest, long torsoed swimsuit from http://www.hapari.com/
(it's the one that the tall dark haired chick on the front page is wearing). Love it!

theFinn said...

I've actually had luck in the past with victoriassecret.com. Yes, most of their stuff is scandalicious, but they usually have a few really cute, modest ones, too. Just wait until they are having a sale and the price goes way down.

Brooke said...

I was going to suggest www.limericki.com as well... or Athleta, which is now part of Gap! I love my swimsuit from there.

Kristy said...

If you find yourself in Provo in the next while, there is a place on University near Center Street that custom makes suits. I really like their stuff. You pick the fabric (out of what they have available), then you pick from one of 3 or 4 styles, and then they measure you and make it to fit you perfectly (and you can ask for changes to the pre-determined styles). If you want the exact location, let me know and I'll get it for you.

The Bishop Family said...

Believe it or not, I got nearly this exact suit from Target for only like $20. True. And it's super cute. Granted, I live in Utah where one-piece selections on suits are always better, but I actually got 2 suits in one day from Target. Best place I have found for suits, victorias secret included...especially for the price.