Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Distraction

My name is Kayla and I am a sugarholic.

(You: hiii, Kayla)

I'm mostly addicted to baked goods but I won't say no to candy or ice cream when offered. This kind of messes with the whole training-for-a-half-marathon thing (and also that trying-to-stay-relatively-thin thing). Plus, when it comes to desserts, I'm pretty sure the part of my brain that says, "ok, you've had enough dessert. Stop going back for more" is broken. I've never tried to eat a whole cake by myself because the thought makes my arteries hurt, but I'm fairly certain I'm capable.

In any event, right now I want a cookie soooo baaaad. So I'm blogging. Because it's 9:30 at night, we have no cookies, and cravings like this often lead to me busting out the butter and the mixer and finally pulling cookies out of the oven at 11pm. And I really don't want to stay up that late.

Also, I've gotten up in the middle of writing this post TWICE to go haunt the pantry and MAKE SURE we have no cookies (we don't. I never BUY cookies. Cookies are not bought, they are made). I settled for a few butterscotch chips and whining at Aaron about how I neeeeed a cookie. Or a cupcake. Or apple pie. Mmmm pie.

STOP. Ok. Moving on to something not dessert related.

I'm starting to feel human again. I still didn't have the energy to deal with Wes and his Crazy today, but I have high hopes for tomorrow. It looks like I haven't passed The Plague on to Aaron or Wes, but only time will tell. I'm particularly concerned about Wes, who suddenly LOVES to share and wants to put everything in his mouth and then my mouth and then his mouth etc. you get the picture. It's very slimy around these parts lately and the germs definitely had opportunity.

I just hit myself in the eye with a (capped-thank goodness) marker. I don't even know how that happened. I am getting LESS graceful as I age. Lovely.

Aaron's THIRTIETH birthday is in TWO WEEKS. And I got nothing. No gift. No plans. I kind of suck right now. Suggestions? Surprise party? (AARON DON'T READ THIS) (he actually doesn't read my blog that often) (I know, my own husband. Doesn't read our (MY!) blog regularly) (but seriously, suggestions?)

7 comments:

Bart said...

I wish I had a shutoff valve. Instead, I just have to exercise self constraint (which is no fun while doing it, but usually worth it in the end). It seems like there have been cookies everywhere I turn lately, btw. Wish I could have teleported them to you somehow. Where's Scotty when you need him (have you seen that)?

Good luck!

Heather said...

Is Aaron a party-type of guy? If so, great. If not, he'd probably appreciate an awesome childless all-day date, doing whatever he really loves to do. Rock climbing, going to a concert, whatever is his thing.

theFinn said...

I feel your pain. If there is ANY kind of treat in plain view, I WILL eat it immediately and then feel slightly guilty later. Yesterday, I literally had to have a conversation with myself in which I explained why cupcakes cannot be breakfast food.

Unknown said...

Wow something about this senario hit way too close to home. Good to know that I am not the only one that suffers from sugarholicism. If I could I would hook myself up to an IV of the stuff. We really need to start an SA group.

chosha said...

I am pretty sensible with things like cake or cookies, but I have no chocolate threshhold at all. A family block is just a sugar-induced coma waiting to happen.

Margot said...

Bryan turned 30 last month and I made him a buttermilk-chocolate cake from scratch. And that was all. I didn't get him any presents. And we drove back from Texas on his birthday, so he didn't even get to have a fun hurray-you're-30-so-we're-eating-a-fancy-meal lunch. I felt like a pretty lame wife. So, I have no suggestions, merely feelings of commiseration.

And now I want a cookie..

Janell said...

"Cookies are not bought, they are made." I love that! I am the exact same way - I never buy cookies. So much better homemade. (And I can also totally relate to the 11 p.m. batch.)

As to the birthday, I like the special date idea. Concert or theater tickets? Driving northward to get out of the heat and do a hike? And I'm sure you will have some kind of amazing dessert planned. :)