Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tell About How a Relationship Ended

My mother-in-law, Sharan, sent me an email with a whole huge list of prompts from a memoir book she was reading back when I asked and for some reason I didn't see the email until yesterday. Not sure what happened there. But she gave me a bunch of good ideas.

In the following story I am using a very loose definition of the term "relationship."


I went to Europe for two weeks with a student group when I was 12. The thing about a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds with minimal supervision is there is going to be pairing up and lots of it. Which is how I ended up with my most awkward "relationship" ever.

He sent friends over to ask me to be his girlfriend. I wasn't sure who he was but I said yes. I was not overly picky at 12.

During our 5 day relationship, I was unsure of his name for the first 2 days. My good friend, Kimi, had to bail me out once when he came to our room to say hi and I couldn't remember his name.

Our one and only kiss (peck) was a disaster. I SWEAR I've blogged about it but I can't find the post. Will have to write about that train wreck in the near future.

The day we broke up he and a friend found some poke-y thing in the street and brought it on board the bus. I want to say it was a piece of aluminum mini blinds or something. I was sitting a few rows up and he poked me with it. Repeatedly. After my requests to be left alone were ignored I finally realized that he was too immature for me and sent a note back that said
Consider yourself dumped.

Because I was the height of maturity.


Who WOULDN'T want to date that?

5 comments:

Janssen said...

That breakup note is the best thing ever.

Also, I can hardly see you in that picture. It just looks so unlike how I think of you - your hair is so LIGHT!

Unknown said...

Real Simple is having an essay contest with a great promt you should blog about it, and or enter the contest. The subject is "the first time you realized you were an adult." ...o FYI I have decided that your part time job is freelance writting.

TheMoncurs said...

Raquel- I saw that prompt and have been thinking about it! I would looove to do freelance writing.

Caitlin Carroll said...

This is absolutely hilarious because that was SO ME when I was 12. Awkward pecks and "dumping" notes and all. We are so alike (except I love vegetables and you don't).

mominaz said...

Oooh! I never heard that story!