Friday, September 14, 2007

Why He Asked for My Email Address

Because a lot of people are like, "...e-mail address?" when they hear the story of how we met, I asked Aaron to do a short write up on why.

"As a guy going after a girl, you’re always looking for clever ways to differentiate yourself from other guys. One of the great ways I learned to do this was to ask for a girl’s email address instead of her phone number. Girls get asked for their numbers all the time. It’s old, boring, and expected. The trick for any guy is to break the pattern of expectance [K: it's a real word. I checked]. This will get a girls attention every time.

"Another reason I asked for the email instead of the phone number is girls feel less pressured to give it out. Phone conversations can be stressful and forced. Think about it – you hardly know the guy, you don’t know what to say half the time, and you’re still in that phase where you’re worried about his perception of you. Enter the gift of email. Suddenly you can reply whenever you want, take as long as you need to think of a witty comeback, and calmly craft exactly what you want to say.

"Phone numbers are overrated. Email is much more effective, in my experience."


So there you have it. To you single men out there: I don't necessarily recommend Aaron's approach. I kind of resent that it worked. He should have put forth some more effort, dang it! I can't believe I fell for that...

2 comments:

Becky said...

That's cute that he put some thought into it though!! And wow, I feel OLD!

Cricket said...

how funny! I was thinking of doing the same thing! great minds....