My freshman year at FHE we all had to say a Razz and a Rose for the week. It was always stuff like, "I failed my chemistry test, but I got a care package from my mom!" and we'd all applaud. I always thought it was so fun to hear the ups and downs of peoples lives. And so, I give you my razzes and roses for today.
Razz
1. At work we get calls from people wanting to be paid more quickly all the time (we have 30 days to pay you and we're going to use it. Chill!), along with sales calls, solicitation calls, and Calls that Actually Matter. The thing about being a phone answering secretarial type is I'm kind of a gate keeper. My job is to make sure that only Calls that Actually Matter get through to my dad and his business partner. I have to sift out the other ones or divert them to someone else who can help them. There's this one company in particular that calls and asks for my dad and, when I ask their name, always replies, "Ms. So-and-so," to which I reply, "and what is the nature of your call?" They inevitably reply, "Personal business." Usually I just politely probe a bit more until I get some more information, but next time I'm just going to say, "Look, lady, I'm his daughter. If this were personal I would know you, and I have no clue who you are. So just tell me who you are with and what you want and I'll think about passing you over to him." I hate when people try to be all mysterious.
2. I'm flying to Utah tonight to go to a wedding tomorrow. I'll be needing a car. Nikki has a car but also needs to get to the airport tomorrow night to fly down here with the fiance-to-be. For some reason, this has caused both Nikki and my mom to FREAK OUT about the car situation since I need a car to get to wedding festivities at about the same time Nikki needs a car to get to SLC. The situation really isn't that complicated and I've tried to calmly explain that we will easily figure it out tonight when I get there, but that hasn't stopped the occasional frantic text message or phone call. My mom bugged my dad enough to the point where he suggested I just get a rental car. This is ridiculous for 2 reasons. 1. I am not old enough (sad, but true. Old enough to purchase alcohol, but not drive a rented vehicle). 2. Aaron probably wouldn't let me go if we had to pay for airfare AND a rental car. In which case making me get a rental car would render me unable to go, which would take away the source of the problem except for the part where I'm here and the wedding and Lizzy's baby are there.
3. All my winter clothes were in storage in Orem while I was in AZ for the summer trying to catch myself an Aaron. That summer, Utah county had massive amounts of rain, which caused some areas to flood. And by some areas, I mean our storage unit. Most of my stuff made it out all right, but all my winter clothes were in a cloth storage thing on the ground. All of my winter coats and sweaters got wet, especially my beautiful black dry-clean-only pea coat. It's a mess and I forgot how terrible it looks. It is (was) the nicest coat I have, definitely the only one that's wedding appropriate. And it's 20 degrees in Provo. I have to bring my coat, no matter how terrible it looks because it still looks better than my alternatives. I wonder if "dry clean only" can also mean "ironable."
4. I went to take pictures at a rental property. A gate ate my arm. I might die of tetanus.
Roses
1. I ordered a pair of pants from AE and a few shirts from Shades on Monday (long live January sales!). When I went home for lunch, my pants had arrived! They fit fabulously and got here just in time to go to Utah with me. Even if I am without a vehicle and a decent coat, my bum will be stylishly attired. The regular mail hadn't come when I was home, which is how Shades usually sends their shirts, so my new shirts might even be here before I leave, in which case all of me will be stylishly attired. Freezing maybe, but stylish.
2. I went grocery shopping last night, which means I had a wonderful healthy breakfast and a fabulous light lunch at home. Let's hear it for a well stocked pantry (especially one with yogurt and fruit)!
3. I'm definitely going to be able to fit everything into my carry on tonight, which means no checking baggage!
4. Unlike some other people, I have a ride to SLC. I leave on Sunday and the one and only Heather, a dear friend I grew up with in Cali, will be taking me to the airport. I expect to be hoarse by the time we get there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment