Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Of Blood and Needles

I have a Dr. appointment today, which really isn't ever my favorite thing, but today, they might need to take blood. That means they might be shoving needles into my veins.

I have to be there in about 35 minutes and the thought of needles has me on the verge of tears. I don't know what it is about needles, they don't even really hurt that much, but I get panicky when I think about them. Even needles on TV make my stomach turn.

My last experience with needles was when I had to get a cavity filled. I'm a wimp about needles AND pain, so I let them shoot me up with some novocaine. I wasn't about to sit through the drilling without it. For some reason, I wasn't getting completely numb, so I got several times the normal dosage of novocaine. And several times the dosage of needles. I don't really remember exactly what happened, but I know I walked out of the dentist's office with a prescription for a tranquilizer in hand and instructions to pop one before my next appointment. It's that bad.

If they need to take blood today they will probably have to strap me to the table and take it by force, because otherwise I'll most likely run through the office screaming bloody (hehe) murder. But seriously, I'm panicking. And I have to leave in 15 minutes. EEEEEP!

1 comment:

Cricket said...

So how'd it go?

I am an MA, I LOVE to draw blood, it is my "thing" and I have the same feelings about needles that you do when they are coming at ME.

It's a total control thing. Anything we can't control automatically seems worse especially if it could be painful!

A big key to getting a good stick is to relax. When you are tense it literally causes your vessels to constrict (that is why you have higher blood pressure when under stress too, like white coat syndrome, your vessels constrict causing higher pressure similar to pinching the top of a hose with your thumb) and when they are constricted they are actually tougher to puncture, causing more pain! Try to relax and ask to lay down if you have to. Close your eyes and breathe breathe breathe. Also, Drink alot of water throughout the day so that you are very well hydrated, this too will help the vessels to be softer and easier to puncture, not to mention easier to find.

So, how was that for a lesson in Veni-puncture, LOL!!