Sunday, February 08, 2009

Blog? What blog? I have a blog?

I'm back! From...you know...somewhere. Somewhere where I wasn't blogging at all for almost 2 weeks.

And now, my long overdue Grand Canyon recap. We went belatedly for our anniversary (we were supposed to go back in December on our actual anniversary but the roads were impassable for our 2 wheel drive civic). My parents took Wes and I had my first night away from my baby. I was so so SO excited to sleep in but woke up at the crack of 7:30. Exactly when Wes normally wakes up. Sigh.

Our cute cabin inside:

And out:

We stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge in a rim cabin. Totally recommend. It was very clean and cozy and the bathroom was actually really nice. My one suggestion if you go is to bring your own pillow. Their pillows are seriously bad.

The lodge is right at the head of the Bright Angel Trail, which is the one the donkeys take to the bottom. Which is why when we stepped out our front door we saw this:

Black hair!

(first 2 pics by Aaron and his brand spankin' new Mark II. Last pic by me and my newly inherited Rebel. Yes, I know, his are way better.)

We hiked a little ways down the Bright Angel Trail but it was pretty icy so we didn't go far. But it kind of made me want to hike the whole way one day.


After hiking back up the Bright Angel Trail we did some of the Rim Trail. You can hike for miles right along the South Rim. We only went about a mile, I think, but it was enough to experience the dizziness that comes from standing right on the edge and then looking down.

We hiked back to our cabin and packed the full arsenal of photography equipment and went out searching for some good sunset spots. A few people directed us to Pima Point, so that's where we went.

The view was pretty spectacular. Both of these are HDR shots by Aaron, obviously. You can see a little bit of the Colorado River in that bottom picture.

At that point it was so. freaking. cold. We both brought warm jackets but forgot things like hats, scarves and gloves. That last one would have been reeeaally nice for operating a camera in freezing conditions. I gave up at the end. My fingers had stopped working.

After dinner we went back to our cabin and were kind of like, "....now what?" But then we realized: TV! Our cabin had cable! We don't get any channels at our house at all, so just laying around in bed watching National Geographic was a total luxury. I think that might make us a little pathetic, but seriously. It was awesome.

Before we drove home on Sunday we drove out along Desert View Drive. It's about 28 miles one way but ends up at this really great spot with a watchtower.

You can take the stairs all the way to those top windows and the view is dizzying.


It was really awesome having two cameras for this trip. I often get painfully bored waiting around for Aaron to take pictures so whenever he stopped and pulled out his camera on this trip I just pulled my camera out as well and started snapping away. I really got to know my way around the Rebel (finally) and am much more comfortable using it now. It was fun to share our pictures with each other and even though his are way better I'm still proud of a few of mine.

This trip totally gave us the travel bug and now we want to go EVERYWHERE and take pictures. So if someone from National Geographic is reading this, Hi! We'd love to go somewhere and take pictures for you! Aaron isn't half bad with a camera! I'll write you a mostly coherent article to go with the pictures! We'll stay in hostels and eat street food! we're not picky! Call me!

10 comments:

Bart said...

You made me wonder if a lot of the people who've been laid off from their full-time jobs think this is their one chance to do what they've always wanted - travel and take photos for National Geographic, start a music shop, apply to be an ice cream taste-tester, etc..

The photos are beauties. But you're probably sick of the G.C. by now, eh?

☂niki. said...

Gorgeous! You know, I've lived here my entire life and not once have I been to the grand canyon. Sad, I know. I've always wanted to go. Even more now after seeing your pics.

Your hair looks good.

You're right, you did comment. That was brefore I had my comments sent to my email. That's why I must have missed it. Sorry. Glad we could clear that up though:) thanks for not being afraid to comment again.

Anonymous said...

So, that hiking down the Grand Canyon thing? Yeah, its 2 days to the bottom. Then another 2 days back out. And you have to carry EVERYTHING with you - tent, mini grill, clothes, astronaut food, pots and pans, blankets. I did it in high school and it was EXHAUSTING. But awesome.

TheMoncurs said...

Bart- I bet you're right.I'm sure people are using this time to live their dream. I'm really glad Aaron still has his job though...I don't think trying to make it as a photographer sounds very fun.

Niki- Pity you missed my stalker comment the first time around. I felt so creepy posting it!

Shawna- When did you hike the Grand Canyon??? I don't remember that at all.

Caitlin Carroll said...

I went with Becca and friends a few years back. We hiked a good four or five hours (maybe it felt longer?) down, forgetting that the way back up was steep and it was HOT. We were kind of dumb college students and brought a little water, but not enough. Lucky we didn't die. But it was pretty miserable. I love the Grand Canyon though! On our way back home from Lake Powell we almost drove to see it, because hello, Tim's never been there and he's from Utah! But we were exhausted, and low on money, so we didn't. Some day we'll go stay in those cute cabins.

Janssen said...

I saw someone wearing that sweatshirt in Austin the other day and was like "hey, Kayla has that sweatshirt."

And then I felt like a giant stalker.

Mike and Steph said...

YAAAAYYYY! You're back! I was so close to harassing you the other day for not updating your blog, but it seems you had a rather good reason not to. Looks like you guys had a great time! Love the pics!

angela hardison said...

I've been wanting to go back to the Grand Canyon - it's been years since I've been, and I'm pretty sure I would appreciate it more now. Great photos as always (yes, including yours!). And... glad you're back. Happy belated anniversary.

Anonymous said...

I went... umm... freshman year? It was fun!

Melody B. said...

Great pics...wow that camera IS nice, and a pretty penny I'm sure. Do you guys even own a point and shoot or ever use it anymore. Do you consider your Rebel a point a shoot now! HA!:P