Thursday, February 19, 2009

In Which the Goodwill Gods Smile Upon Me

We took some family pictures a month or 2 ago and ended up with a really great one that Aaron wanted to print.

This one, but cropped differently. Also, the print is a little lighter.

DM Photo uses a professional printer that thus far has gotten us really awesome prints. We hadn't ordered anything particularly large yet and Aaron was itching to order something bigger. And oh boy did he.

If you were here for Wes's birthday party you probably saw the print. It's almost life size. I bribed Wes with a graham cracker to help you see how large it is:

I think the actual dimensions are 24' by 30'? Not sure.

One of my friends was over when it arrived and she was like, "....What are you going to DO with it??" Excellent question. Such a lovely picture calls for matting and framing. Unfortunately, matting and framing such a large picture costs around $400. On the low end. No thank you.

And then! On Valentine's Day I went to Goodwill in search of more frames for this project. And I found a large frame. With a red mat. And even though I am constantly forgetting my tape measure, it looked like it might fit. And also, it was only $15. Except that it was also one of the "Every Other Saturday 50% Off Days" which means that it was actually only $7.50.

So I brought it home. Who doesn't love a good Southwestern watercolor?

A quick deconstruction, a coat of red paint from my stash, and voila.

The picture doesn't do it justice...it turned out awesome. For $7.50.*


*Actually, we accidentally broke the glass when trying to assemble it and had to custom order a new piece from a glass shop since it's a large, non-standard size. So, really, it cost us $27.50. Still better than $400.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! It looks awesome. Well done. Now... where are you going to put it?

PS, I love the picture of Wes next to the picture of Wes. Adorable.

Janssen said...

There is no need to say, once again, that you are my hero.

Lonica said...

Wow! I'm impressed. Not only does the picture look fantastic, but the framed version is even better! Only in Phoenix can you find southwestern watercolors at goodwill...

angela hardison said...

That is a perfect example of why Goodwill is my home away from home (sad but pretty much true).

It looks great!

Unknown said...

Love it! It turned out great! Way to be thrifty. Which wall did you paint the tree on? It also looks very good.

☂niki. said...

first let me say, the photo is absolutely beautiful. what a lovely family you make. your eyes...wow!

now let me say that i love your purchase. it worked out perfectly. isn't that the best?! i'm happy for you.

Brooke said...

That is awesome. I'm always impressed with your interior decorating skills. One day you need to come up to Surprise and brainstorm with me :)

Melody B. said...

That really IS a great picture.

mominaz said...

I love it!