Sunday, February 15, 2009

A New Mural

Remember this from Wes's room?:

(inspired by this)

I've kind of been wanting to do another one. Well, actually, I'd like to redo that one (I think I can improve upon it now that I know what I'm doing) but it's going to be a huge time suck. So, instead, I did a smaller, simpler one over the long weekend.







I used the same color as the wall but in a high gloss finish instead of eggshell. Aaron and I both love it. It's really subtle and what you see changes depending on where you are and how the light is. There's only one place you can stand that shows you the whole thing and it's in the hallway leading to the kitchen.

I've been collecting and painting frames from thrift stores so I can proudly display these:

All the wonderful family pictures my mom has collected through years of genealogy research. I LOVE these pictures. I'm particularly fond of the wedding portraits, but the one of my great aunts with finger waves is too awesome to not include. I have a lot of scanning, resizing and printing ahead of me to get everything to fit nicely in the frames without ruining the originals, but I'll post pictures when everything is finished and hung on our pretty new tree.

8 comments:

Nemesis said...

My mom did a project just like this with all the old family photos and it looks great. Can't wait to see yours!

Even though, you know, I will immediately afterwards criticize your parenting. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Laws. I absolutely love these! Love, double-love, and triple-love. I BIG LOVE love these!

Please to provide a step-by-step instruction of how on earth one gets such a fabulous wall!

xox

Kristi said...

In my ideal world we would live on the same street and you would teach me how to do all of these awesome things you do and keep me entertained with witty retort and tasty desserts. Ever considered moving to Austin?

Bart said...

I'm uber impressed by your painting. That's way more impressive than my recent Valentine's Day work of art. Way.

Caitlin Carroll said...

When one day, like in 10 years, I actually live in a house, can I hire you to decorate? Thanks.

☂niki. said...

ooh, i love it! i also love the one is wes' room!

have you seen pics of my frame wall? i had plans to put vintage genealogy photos in them but was too anxious to hang the frames since it will be a long while before i get all the photos together. in time...(hopefully)

yours is going to look amazing.

i think you should post more pictures of your house! i'm loving what i'm seeing.

angela hardison said...

I forgot to comment on this,

but I love it. And I have a thing for spray painting frames too.

Melody B. said...

This is such a great idea..mind if I steal it?:)