Thursday, January 01, 2009

Out of Africa

New Years Eve day at Out of Africa:

This is pretty much what it's like around our house.

Aaron: Snuggle up! Cheeeeeese funny faces aggghhh!
Me: What's going on?

Me: Oh, right. Aggghhhh!

Just lion around (snort)


Boom-Boom the rhino (he's old and enjoying his retirement by lounging in sunny mud puddles)

The one animal Wes was interested in. Probably because the interest was mutual. They're collared peccaries (I kept wanting to call them pessaries. Which, not the same thing) and they were so cute trying to check us out through the chain link. At one point there were four of them trying to stick their noses through to get a good whiff of us.

Aaron posing while on stroller duty. He was in charge of pushing Wes most of the time because there is NO part of that place that is paved. It's all dirt and mud. And I'm weak and that stroller is heavy.

The best part was that the animals totally don't bother hiding. They're like, ya I'm just going to hang out here right at the edge of my massive enclosure 3 feet away from you and let you gawk at me all you like. Consider it my gift to you.

We saw a 3 legged jaguar, lions, tigers, grizzlies, black bears, the rhino, arctic wolves, a gray wolf, and hyenas (We heard them laugh! It was crazy!) all within spitting distance. They just like hanging out where the people are which makes for a really awesome zoo-going experience.

Almost 700 pounds (!) of manly tigerness.

The meat bin. You can follow the keepers around while they feed the predators. They just use meat hooks to toss chickens, turkeys, and huge hunks of beef over the fences. It was funny to see naked headless chickens flying over the chain link. But it smelled so. bad.

The best part of Out of Africa, though, is the Serengeti Tour. It's part of your admission and you hop on a bus and they drive you around their "Serengeti" where they have giraffes, zebras, ostriches, camels, and various hoofed deer-type creatures running around. And right before they herd you on the bus they hand you these little biscuit things. And the giraffe and camel totally know you have biscuits.

Coming my way

Why hello there.


Could you back up a bit there sir?

Have a treat my friend!

Yes, I should have handed Aaron the camera so we could get a real picture but he was Wes wrangling and we only have so many hands. But I totally got licked by a giraffe!

Inside the Serengeti, which butts up against several lion habitats, there's a bunch of debris piled at the bottom of the fences. Our awesome driver, Bill, told us that it was because the gemsbok would taunt the lions and get them up to come up against the fence and then use their horns to stab at them through the chain link. And so we're all looking at the debris that keeps the gemsbok at bay (you know, poor defenseless lions and all) when all of a sudden this ostrich pops her head up to peer in the windshield. The ostriches also know the buses have biscuits. And it was hilarious. I too busy laughing to get a picture, unfortunately.

Anyway, the Serengeti tour was our favorite part. It's one of the few times you have a guide so you get to hear funny stories about how the giraffe has a feud with the camel and this one zebra totally terrifies the ostrich but this sable antelope scares the pee out of all of them and they used to have a really ornery ostrich but he passed away before he was able to kill anyone, much to his dismay, they're sure.

And then we went home. The end!

3 comments:

Janssen said...

I think Ralphie has that same sweatshirt. Which makes it awesome, obviously

Caitlin Carroll said...

I want on a few safaris like that in Zimbabwe and Botswana. We weren't allowed to feed the animals because they were actually in the wild, so no close ups like that, but we did see some awesome elephants by the watering hole. I could have died the baby elephants were SO CUTE. Sounds like fun!

angela hardison said...

This post may be one of my favorites. Ever. (I just love the way you narrated it; I was cracking up.) And now I want to go to Out of Africa. Which is funny, cause I don't even really like animals. But it looks awesome.