Friday, January 16, 2009

Sabbatical Report

Subtitle: I Am Weak

I almost made it to Saturday. And by that I mean I caved Friday morning. Which still sort of counts for something, I think.

I do have to admit that my computer got turned on Wednesday (I think?) afternoon. A friend needed something printed and she's the type of friend I will pretty much never say no to, especially since she'd been trying all afternoon to find someone with a working color printer. So my computer was on for a few minutes while I helped her out.

I pretty much felt like I was missing a leg all week though. I kept heading toward the computer to check my email and then being like, "DANG! I don't know what to do with my self!!"

I found myself texting quite a bit. I got the Alloy and Delia's catalogs in the mail and went through them like..70 times (I think I online window shop more than I thought I did).

Things I want (more for me to refer back to when I find my allowance burning a hole in my pocket than for you to actually look through):
Ivory asymmetrical button hoodie (a la Agent 99's AWESOME white asymmetical zip jacket) (if you can tell me where else I might find a reasonable approximation I will name my next child after you)
Dakota Stretch Twill Bootcut in Gray (I will never NEVER wear bright green twill. Just in case you were worried) (but seriously I am kind of in love with the gray twill)
Flower Burst Shirt (not usually a flower person but it grew on me)
Long Halter Tankini (this in black with turqoise bottoms totally speaks to me)
Morgan Bermuda Short (Delias! Has long shorts! That are cute! I don't even have room in my brain for that information!)
Retro One Piece (This has so much potential. Unfortunately, experience has taught me that the cut of this leg is meant for inhumanly skinny thighs only. Janssen, this is for you my friend.)
Love Sign Tee (technically I've been in love (snort) with this tee for a while but..ya know)
Wild Thing Tee (Kitschy? Yes. Love anyway? Absolutely)


Extensive catalog perusal aside, I was super productive. I read my scriptures early in the day instead of a few minutes before collapsing with exhaustion. I ran every single day this week. I cooked meals. Wes and I went on a lot of long walks. Aaron and I went to the temple. I took Wes to baby lapsits at the library. I went to bed early every night except game night which I totally get a pass for since we didn't even start until after 8 and our kids were all in bed. I read books and watched movies (The White Countess, My Blueberry Nights)(both of which had characters named Katya. Random).

The best part, though, is my neck. It doesn't hurt! I haven't had a headache all week!

So, hard as my sabbatical was, it was also a positive learning experience. I spend more time on the computer than I realized and it's time to cut back. I'm allotting myself one hour a day on the computer. And it has to be while Wes is sleeping. I think that's reasonable and I won't feel the missing leg-ness if I know I have an hour to read/respond/blog/shop/etc.

And on that note, my hour is up and Wes and I are going to the park.

Have a lovely weekend!

6 comments:

Janssen said...

YOU felt like you lost an leg?

I (!!!) felt like I lost a leg. You cannot leave me like this again.

(And yes, this is clearly all about me).

Nikki said...

In case you didn't get my message earlier:

http://www.papayaclothing.com/shop/goods_detail_v1.php?goodsIdx=4409

Nikki said...

(I'm pretty sure I saw it in white at the store. The website doesn't let you see quantity or sizes or anything so maybe they stopped carrying it? You could check, though...)

Sherry said...

Yeah, I was wondering how you'd hold up without a computer for a whole week. Good effort.

When I was on the Great Barrier Island for ten days I became SERIOUSLY sad about my lack of Internet. I still turned on my laptop several times, though. We watched episodes of The Office and some movies.

I am a computer addict.

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

I'm impressed!

You've led me to confront my own addiction to the internet, and I think that I am going to follow your lead and only be on the internet while Reece is sleeping. I like that!

Becky said...

Good job...you are stronger than I! How was your 5K?? If you ever need a workout buddy, let me know.