
Oh yes, a midnight showing. Of the Twilight movie.
I feel like I should be ashamed, but...meh.
Anyway, due to shower clean up I missed the standing in line outside in the freezing cold part. I did, however, get to sit around in a theater full of Twilight freaks (teenage girls and Melody) for 2 hours waiting for 12:10 to roll around. It was really fun! Especially because some of the girls I was with had had a little Red Bull (and some are just naturally a little on the nuts side).
And, as it turns out, one of my very pregnant friends can put her feet behind her head. We have pictures. And there was this girl with really fancy hair that we were all just kind of really intrigued by and Melody kept trying to get a picture of her.
The poor girl HAD to know something was up.
I think Bethany S. (left) and I were trying to hide and distance ourselves at this point since Melody was standing up on her chair trying to get a picture of the poor girl from the pic above:
Anyway, the movie itself was much like the books: some good, some bad, some lame, but overall enjoyable. It was worth my $10.
I thought it was well adapted but I did kind of feel like we were asked to just accept that a lot of stuff we didn't see happened between Bella and Edward at the beginning of the movie that caused them to fall in love. It felt really abrupt..they were bickering a lot while she tried to figure out what was up with him and then there are a few scenes of them talking set to music and then BAM! Willing to die for each other. I felt kind of cheated. A little more development would have gone a long way.
Also, the dialogue was kind of bleh. A lot of it was taken straight from the book. But here's the thing: Stephenie Meyers? Not a super awesome writer. Good story teller? Absolutely. But her writing leaves a lot to be desired. The person who adapted the book should have played with the dialogue to make it less wooden and more believable.
I was surprised by how much I loved many of the actors. Charlie, in particular, was a surprise favorite. I also loved Jacob (except his teeth were a leeeetle too perfect for a kid on the res), Rosalie (holy mother of butts, did you see her in those baseball pants? I added squats and lunges to my workouts solely based on the inspiration of 1.5 seconds of her walking away in one scene), Emmett, Esme, Victoria (hot! Want her hair), Alice, even the kids at school. Although, the attempts to PC-up the school by making a small northern town in very northern Washington all racially diverse was a little unnecessary. I've been to northern Washington. It's pretty white, my friends.
I hated the makeup. HATED. It was painfully bad. As one of my friends (Janssen, I think) said, "Vampires are supposed to be freakishly gorgeous. Not just freakish." Amen. When we first see Carlisle walking into the hospital room I wanted to cry. They ruined him with powder.
I surprised myself by not being very fond of Kristen Stewart. I rented In the Land of Women specifically to check out her Bella playing abilities and came away confident that she was perfect. Fair of skin and dark of hair, angsty, a little needy and vulnerable, perfect. But then she took it to the next level and got super twitchy. In the scene at the end when she's in the hospital bed and telling Edward he can't leave her I was like "STOP BLINKING!" It was like she had some kind of blinking disease. And a lot of the scenes where Bella wasn't frightened but should have been, K. Stew played her like she was scared. And I was confused because she'd be all, "I'm not scared." And I'd be like, "Could have fooled me."
And then I suprised myself even more by not hating Robert Pattinson as Edward. I think maybe he doesn't photograph well because he came across on movie film very different than he did on photo film. I believed him, even when he seemed kind of stoned. And when he lightened up a bit I really liked him. He fit the bill, much to my (and a lot of other people's) surprise.
I think my biggest disappointment was Jasper- probably because I love him so much in the books. What made the director play him like a zombie? I'm so confused. This is a vampire/werewolf movie. No zombies. And I'm fairly certain it was intentional because Jessica described him to Bella as, "the one who looks like he's in pain." He just kind of shuffled around with his eyes really wide, occasionally making sort of lame comments. It was really sad.
Also, it has to be said. When Edward is playing Bella's lullabye and it's all misty and she's lounging in the background all seductively? There was a lot of snorting coming from our row. In particular from Catherine, who snorted through most of the movie, but I had to agree with her there.
Fortunately, the movie doesn't really expect us to take it seriously. The books had fairly little humor. They were too busy being angsty to find time for funny. But Catherine Hardwicke found ways to lighten things up and the theater giggled through a lot of the movie. I was giggling right along with them and I'm sure I'll be renting the movie at some point for a repeat viewing (Aaron will be free that night. Anyone want to hang out with him?).
AND! They're doing New Moon. Which is The Jacob Book. Whee!





7 comments:
I went with Janssen to see this today (her second viewing, my first). I liked it!
The book was too much for me - way too repetitive with all of the descriptions of Bella's thoughts about Edward's good looks. That's why I haven't had the patience to read book 2, 3, or 4 even if I do like the super speed and strength.
The movie, however, was refreshingly subtle in its treatment of Bella's obsession, and the girl who played Bella did a fantastic job, imho.
I also liked how the movie introduced the antagonist vampires earlier on. Without that, the quick ending would have seemed way too abrupt. As it was, it was only a little too abrupt, and I was fine with that (admittedly ready for the movie to be over at that point). A few more scuffles and a longer fighting scene would have been nice. The next film will hopefully have a healthier budget to be able to improve, and expound upon, the special effects scenes.
It's fun to see Bella figure everything out and to see how Edward reacts to his insatiable attraction to her/her blood, but there's no reason to extend that several hundred pages just to keep showing how crazy Bella is about Edward. Let's keep the plot movin', Steph. For the guys' sake, though we be few.
So, yeah! More vampires, more special effects, and a bit more humor would be nice, but all in all, Twilight was pretty good!
Well, now I can stop refreshing Google Reader a bazillion times a day.
Why did we not see this movie together? we could have sat in the canoodling seats. Dave the Laugh would have.
I actually really liked Kristen Stewart and hated Rob (with the exception of the one scene where he told Bella he was going to take her to meet his family. He was all excited and giddy in that scene and it was cute).
LOVE LOVE Rachelle for Victoria, and very much looking forward to seeing more of her later.
I partly agree with your comments about Jasper. He IS always in pain in the book, because he's struggling with being a vegetarian vampire, but they took away his abilities, apparently. Never mentioned or shown in the movie. All of the Cullens should have shown up more in the movie. They seemed to be very much background characters.
If New Moon does as well as Twilight, I'm sure they'll make all 4 into movies. Cha ching Stephanie Meyer.
My favorite part of this whole blog is when you call her "K. Stew." LOL.
I went to the midnight showing as well. In fact, saw your group standing in line, but you must have been cleaning up your shower. Your evaluation of the movie was right on. I too liked Edward more than I thought & overall...although cheesy, enjoyed the movie. I'm hoping they can put more money in the next one & make it a bit better.
Seriously...what was Jasper's deal? Um...Edward Scissor hands? FIRED! I also was surprised when I didn't hate Robert Pattinson in the movie as well. Anywhere else I see him, I want to puke...but he was good as Edward. When Carlisle came through the ER doors I thought I was going to die laughing. Seriously, take it down a few notches on the clown make up will ya!
P.S. Pshaw...you had fun with my antics, don't try to deny it baby! At least i wasn't down on the floor doing the SPLITS like Bethany P. was! Come on!:P
Great recap Kayla...you're the BEST storyteller... I love it. That movie was a little interesting. I didn't think it was bad, but Bethany P. said it was pure torture the 2nd time around...so, I think I wont see it again.
Post a Comment