Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thanksgiving

This was probably the most eventful Thanksgiving I've had in a while.

We had a nicely full table this year. Nikki and Sam came down and Aaron's brother Jeremy was able to get a flight at the last minute, so we were surrounded by lots of family.

We headed over to my parents' house for breakfast on Thursday morning. After we had eaten, we wandered outside and played around on the playground in their backyard. At which point we discovered this little lovely:


So we put him in a jar and we were like, "Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a scorpion and we could make them fight?"

And then 30 minutes later my mom went into the laundry room and shrieked.

Hello, large scorpion. Your timing is impeccable.

(And then later we found another little scorpion in the sink, but I just killed it with the soap dispenser since its fighting skills were not needed.)

So we put the scorpion in the jar with the spider and they basically ignored each other for an hour. Finally, after a lot of poking, the scorpion started ripping the legs off the spider and was eventually declared the winner.

Later, I was standing in the kitchen getting the rolls ready when I realized that something was beeping. I looked over to the oven and realized my mom had forgotten to turn the timer off when she pulled the turkey out. And also, the oven was on fire.

So I yelled for my parents and they put it out with baking soda and we cooked the rest of our dinner in the toaster oven.

And then we had a rather large thunderstorm that blew over a 30 year old lemon tree by the driveway.

So it was kind of a busy day for us.

3 comments:

Janssen said...

Hmm, am I horrified or amused by that spider/scorpion fighting story? I can't decide.

Becca said...

This confirms that I could never live in Arizona. It's real nice and all, and I'm sure I'll be visiting my in-laws there, but I can't handle SCORPIONS.

Becky said...

WOW!! What a Thanksgiving...I'd have paid money to see that spider/scorpion fight...you should have filmed it. I enjoy odd things like that..esp. anything that involves torturing a scorpion...I'm disappointed he won! YUCK.

What was Wes on Alimentum for?? It stinks doesn't it. He's nursing GREAT today, so I'm hoping he can just stick with that and make my life a little more simple.