Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cruisin'

On the way to the Grand Canyon for our anniversary last year Aaron and I got to talking about the 7 Wonders of the World which led to some rather extensive iPhone research on what exactly constituted the 7 Wonders (turns out there's several different categories) which led to us discussing which of the wonders we would like to see which led to us making a list of specific places in the world we'd eventually like to visit together.

As we made our list we tried to be selective and we promised that we'd do whatever we could to make our travel dreams a reality. We planned out which locations we'd like to wait and take our old-enough-to-appreciate-it kids along with us (African safari and Victoria Falls, pyramids) (plus it will take us that long to save up for those locations) and which ones we could do in big RV trips with friends or family (California redwoods, Yellowstone) and which ones we would just do whenever a good opportunity arose and flights were cheap and we could find a babysitter (Stonehenge, Machu Picchu).

A couple weeks ago Aaron and I got to talking about our upcoming 5th anniversary and decided it was time to cross something off our list. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise and we have been wanting to go for a long time, so we decided a Western Caribbean cruise with a stop at Lamanai in Belize would be perfect.

So, come end of November/beginning of December we will be here, gleefully checking off "Mayan Ruins" from our list:

The Lamanai site isn't offered as a shore excursion through the cruise line but, having done a bunch of research, I knew that's where I wanted to go because it requires a boat trip up a river through the rainforest and, you know, how could you not?? Fortunately, I found a company that works with the cruise line's schedule and can get us there and back in time to get back on our ship.

Our cruise has additional stops at Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (we'll be doing sting ray city); Roatan, Honduras (maybe a zip line tour?); and Cozumel in Mexico (snorkeling!).

And thanks to my lovely sister, we will be child free.

Is it November yet??

8 comments:

Sam said...

My parents love Sting Ray City. That looks like a fun trip.

RA said...

Yay, cruises! We did one for our honeymoon, and I am now a total convert. My sister did a zip line tour in Costa Rica, and I really want to try it sometime.

Kristi said...

And here comes an onslaught of unsolicited advice.... : ) What an awesome cruise! I am dying to go to Roatan! DYING. And Belize is my favorite place in the entire world, and excellent choice to snorkel in Cozumel! We went to a national park(or something) called Chankanaab and it. was. amazing. One step into the ocean and tropical fish were everywhere, plus the beach...oh man, it was all just so beautiful, plus there are coupons online : ).

We used a third party company for our sting ray city tour too which was awesome (we used Captain Marvins). I found tons of good information on cruisecritic.com.

I am so jealous! ! Will you be taking your little ones?

Sherry said...

We are doing a cruise for our fifth anniversary too! Only, our cruise is the first week of May. And it sounds like we are going on very similar cruises. We are so excited. It is the only thing getting me through the winter.

megan said...

jealous. we've ticked off seven anniversaries without going on a cruise... I am still hopeful. Maybe number ten?

Way to go on getting it arranged.

Heather said...

We went to Mayan ruins after five years too! I know you'll love it. And, if you're like me, you'll LOVE being child-free. Bless your sister.

Celia said...

I've been there and it is amazing! You are going to love Belize....except Belize city. It's kind of gross there.

Janell said...

Woo Hoo! Putting together your own personal "to visit" list is such a great idea. And how awesome is your sister??!