The surf today was really crappy, so we got together with Pieter and Ruth and headed to the Tiskita Jungle Lodge for the Lonely Planet recommended jungle tour. As it turns out, you need a reservation to take the tour, so we set one for tomorrow morning and we're crossing our fingers that the waves still suck so we can justify not surfing.
One of the guys that Aaron and Jeremy have run into a couple times said the river was kind of a fun little hike, so we decided to give that a try. I was kind of nervous about hiking up a fresh water river in a country that I had heretofore assumed was absolutely infested with crocs, but the water was quite clear and pretty shallow the vast majority of the time. I kind of warily eyed some of the deeper spots, but still no crocs. Probably a good thing.
I wore shorts and a t-shirt the whole way. Fortunately the river was pretty shady so I avoided further burning.During the whole hike I kept thinking about how the river looked like Adventureland at Disneyland. What a sad commentary on my life that my only experience with anything jungle-y is the Jungle Cruise and Indiana Jones. I have to get out more.
We swam around in one of the deeper spots before heading back and taking naps (we are LAZY! We sleep like 9 hours/night and still take naps).
Jeremy surfed a bit after naptime, we watched the sunset and played some cards before bed.











1 comment:
Gorgeous pictures! It looks like a really fun trip - I'd love to go there someday.
We picked Austin because it was new and different, warm (I'm from Vegas and I don't really care for snow/cold), low cost of living, good university nearby with the graduate program I'd like to do (Library and Information Science). It's a great place to live!
Bart wants to get an MBA, so we'll see where we end up in a couple years.
Post a Comment