Monday, August 28, 2006

Even More Kitty Drama

It's probably going to seem like our blog is all about our cats, but it's not. It's just that exciting stuff tends to happen to our cats more than to us, but they can't blog. So we blog it for them.

Aaron and I were up pretty late watching 'Finding Neverland' on Friday night (quality film, can't recommend it enough) so we were really looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday morning. Alas, our cats had other plans.

We were awoken by the sound of shattering glass at 6 am Saturday morning. Aaron rolled over, "That can't be good." I was willing to dismiss it (whatever it was was already broken, nothing to do about it now, might as well go back to sleep!) but Aaron got out of bed, so I grudgingly followed suit.

Fortunately, it was just the $6 Wal Mart pitcher and not one of the beautiful vases we got as wedding presents. It didn't even shatter, just broke into some rather large pieces. I was pretty relieved. Until I noticed the large quanities of blood everywhere.

It seems that Bender had weaseled his way onto the window sill above our kitchen sink, right by where said pitcher was drying, upside down, on the counter. It's rather wobbly upside down and he must have knocked it over while climbing into or out of the window. The sound obviously freaked him out (he's already the most skittish cat ever) and he proceeded to skitter way, thus cutting open his 2 back paws.

Upon futher examination of our kitchen, it looked as though we had stepped into a horror film. There was blood on the counter, puddles of blood on the floor, bloody pawprints and bloody smears everywhere. I'm not sure how much blood there is in a cat's circulatory system, but I was a little concerned about the possibility of exsanguination.

We finally found Bender trembling in the laundry room. He wouldn't be still long enough for us to get a good look at his paws, so I put him in our cat carrier with some clean rags and did the logical thing. I called my mommy.

A few hours later, after Bender and I had both gotten a much needed nap, she came over. As soon as she tried helping me he just heaved a deep sigh and finally just relaxed in my arms. He let her wash his paws and put some neosporin on his lacerations. We bandaged him up and let him go.

Here's the poor gimp post Dr. Kepi:


He isn't limping or anything but he does that thing where every step he takes he tries to shake off that obnoxious thing stuck to his foot. It's kind of funny and sad at the same time. Also, if you're thinking he looks a little cross-eyed, he kinda always looks like that.Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Cricket said...

Is your moma vet? That would be really helpful.

Do you think she could go back to medical schooland become a pediatrician for when you guys have kids? LOL

TheMoncurs said...

Haha, she would be an excellent vet! Actually, she just does a lot of volunteer work with an animal shelter in Phoenix. Kittens are pretty much her specialty, she just has a way with them.

She should DEFINITELY become a pediatrician. How convenient would that be to have a pediatrician grandma living 5 minutes away??